These little buckets have been found at numerous Anglo-Saxon grave sites. The exact purpose of them is unknown, but they seem to have been an important personal item as people were buried with them. Sibylla and I believe they may have been feast buckets. Since we have early Anglo-Saxon personas, we decided to make something like one with materials we had readily available. We decided that the buckets were not intended to be water-tight, so we didn’t go for that level of accuracy. This was a prototype, and intended to be more about learning than making it perfect. The cost to make it was less than $10 (excluding the book and tools).
What we learned:
The bucket took around 12 hours to make (probably more) .
You can use an axe and hammer for splitting the log to a 1/4-inch thickness providing the log has no knots.
Minimal tools are required (metal snips, hand saw, spokeshave, chisels, hand plane, axe, hammer, vice and sadly enough duct tape).
Use thicker metal for the bands next time. Likely 1mm-2mm copper.
Split-pin rivets hint that the buckets were likely not meant to be waterproof.
Rim could be made by wrapping the sheet around 1/4-inch bar and bending into 6-inch diameter
A 6-inch outer form would have been handy for the base so it would stay together.